Quick link to your answer
General Info CatBa
CatBa is the second largest island in Vietnam and is located south of Halong bay. Many tourists book a tour of a few days in Hanoi to visit Halong Bay and Cat Ba, but it will be a more unique and adventurous experience when you visit Cat Ba Island by going here without a tour.
Another advantage of visiting Cat Ba on your own, is that you can travel straight from Cat Ba to Ninh Binh, so you don’t have to travel back to Hanoi. On Cat Ba you can explore the island by (motor)bike, visit beaches, do kayaking or climbing or watch sunset at Cannon Forth. On the main street in Cat Ba town you can easily book a boat tour to explore beautiful Lan Ha Bay, or the southern tip of Halong Bay.
Ferry or buses will bring you to Cat Ba town where you can find many accommodations and several good restaurants. Tip: You can book a day tour around Cat Ba/Halong Bay at Alibaba (restaurant/guesthouse) for just $12 for a full day including lunch and kayaking. The owner offers also cheap (but good) motorbike rental for 60k a day. If you searching for some good spring rolls and a local food experience, make sure you don’t miss Phuong Nhung Restaurant.
How to get there
- Bus and ferry: 200.000 VND (€7,50), duration: 3,5 hours
- Train and ferry: 360.000 VND (€13,50), duration: 4h excl transit time
- Bus and ferry: 500.000 VND (€19), duration: 12 hrs
- Bus, train and ferry: 685.000 VND (€25,50), duration: 16,5 hrs
- Bus and ferry: 280.000 VND (€10), duration: 5 hours
My favourite accommodations in Cat Ba
- €15 or less Catba Central Hotel
- €15 to €30 Whisper Nature Bungalow & Resort
- €30 to €50 Sea Pearl Cat Ba Hotel
Was this post useful to you?