Bus or Flight from Phnom Penh to Ho Chi Minh?
- Phnom Penh
- 6 hours
- Ho Chi Minh
- Phnom Penh
- 6 hours
- Ho Chi Minh
How to get from Phnom Penh to Ho Chi Minh?
Taking a bus is a pretty convenient option for this route. The journey takes only about 6 hours, including the border crossing. Alternatively, you can also fly from Ho Chi Minh to Phnom Penh. Flights already start from $67 and a flight takes 1 hour.
Flying from Ho Chi Minh to Phnom Penh can be more expensive, but is a good option if you’d rather avoid the hassle of crossing the border.
Your options at a glance
|Bus||6 hours||$13.50||Check bus tickets|
|Flight||1 hour||$67||Check flights|
Bus from Phnom Penh to Ho Chi Minh
Duration: 6 hours
Traveling from Phnom Penh to Ho Chi Minh by bus isn’t too difficult. In fact, some travelers prefer this method as it’s cheaper than flying. Another advantage of taking the bus, is that buses produce fewer emissions and is, therefore, a more eco-friendly option.
If you wish to go by bus, your best bet is to book with reputable companies like Mekong Express, Giant Ibis Transport, The Sinh Tourist. They all provide multiple trips per day and fares start from $12.
We recommend to book with Giant Ibus as they have a good reputation, have comfortable seats and also provide free pick-up.
|The Sinh Tourist||06:00-12:00|
|Giant Ibis Transport||08:0014:45|
|$19 + free pick-up|
- Departs from Sorya theater, close to the railway in the city center
- Arrives at the Sorya Bus Station along Phạm Ngũ Lão Street (backpacker street) in the city center
- Departs from Preah Sihanouk Boulevard, near the Canadia Bank in the city center
- Arrives at Kumho Samco Bus Station along Phạm Ngũ Lão Street, near Elois Hotel in the city center
The Sinh Tourist
- Departs from Preah Sihanouk Boulevard (St. 274), near the Canadia Bank in the city center
- Arrives at De Tham Street, opposite of Dragon Palace 3 Hotel in the city center
- Departs from the Mekong Express Limousine Bus Station near the Chroy Changvar II Bridge in the city center
- Arrives at the Mekong Express Limousine Bus Station along Phạm Ngũ Lão Street in the city center
Giant Ibis Transport
- Departs from Giant Ibis Bus Terminal near Sisowath Quay Road in the city center
- Arrives at the Giant Ibis Bus Station, along Phạm Ngũ Lão Street in the city center
Sapaco Limousine Bus
While vans are mostly not as comfortable as buses, Sapaco proves that the opposite is possible. With their luxurious Limousine Bus, you can enjoy a comfortable van ride.
They offer van trips from Phnom Penh to Ho Chi Minh daily and the tickets cost $18. Departures from Phnom Penh are at 6:30, 13:30, 14:30, 15:00 and 15:30.
Immigration Stop and Bathroom Breaks
Most of the buses from Phnom Penh to Ho Chi Minh cross the border at Bavet/Moc Bai. The immigration stop at the border isn’t very organized or modern, but the staff of the bus companies will explain to you what to do and how to obtain your entry stamp.
Unfortunately, this border does not provide a visa on arrival. That means you have to get a letter of approval before you book this bus trip to Ho Chi Minh!
The bus normally takes one bus stop just before the Vietnamese border. This serves as your last chance to spend your last Cambodian Riel!
Tip: Always keep a lookout for the bus personnel or fellow travelers from your bus so you don’t get lost.
Flight from Phnom Penh to Ho Chi Minh
Duration: 1 hour
Costs: 1.550.000 VND ($67)
If you don’t want to make the 6 hour border crossing via land, you can also take a flight.
They are many airlines operating on this route from Phnom Penh to Ho Chi Minh, including Cambodia Angkor Air, Vietnam Airlines and Qatar Airways.
We recommend booking your tickets in advance to get better rates. One-way ticket starts at $67.
To help you navigate to your hotel from Ho Chi Minh Airport, read our article on Ho Chi Minh International Aiport (Tan Son Nhat).
Tip: Skyscanner also gives an indication if flights are more eco-friendly. Choosing a more eco-friendly flight can make a big difference!
Did you travel this route or visit this place? Share your experience in a comment below.